This morning it looked like it would be another blustery day, so I decided to try cooking my son's favorite dinner in the slow cooker instead of on the stove top. I am extremely happy with the results, and I think you all will really enjoy it as well.
The gravy came out rich and creamy (creaminess is find of the point with a stroganoff), with a much deeper color and flavor than it has doing it on the stove. Cooking for that long really breaks the meat down to make it soft an much more flavorful, and taking the time to flour and brown it first makes all the difference in flavor and texture.
Another comfort-food classic done Fat Boy Style.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
ACTIVE TIME10 mins
TOTAL TIME50 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed golden mushroom soup
- 3 1/2 Beef Stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Roll the beef in flour and saute in the hot oil until well browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to the slow cooker and top with the soup and stock.
- Cook on high setting for 8 hours. Stir in the sour cream during the last 30 minutes.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles and add to slow cooker. Serve.