After a week touring bourbon distilleries we were looking to add some of that great southern flavor to our dinner, and came across this great recipe for chinese style bourbon chicken. The bite and sweetness combine to make a delicious dinner!
Chinese Bourbon Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thigh meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons good bourbon whiskey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste (up to 4 tablespoons if desired)
- 1 green onion, washed and cut into thirds
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Place the chicken thighs in a shallow 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Turn the thighs occasionally to make sure they are entirely coated in the marinade.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius, gas mark 4). Bake the chicken, uncovered, with the marinade, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting occasionally, until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced in the thickest part of the thigh, or a meat thermometer reads at least 170 degrees Fahrenheit (77 degrees Celsuis) in the same part of the thigh. Serve hot.