I love Bourbon Heritage Month! An excuse to cook with my favorite ingredient (and refreshment) is like haven to me. Tonight I decided to do my Bourbon Chicken, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.
This extremely flexible dish allows you to really make it your own. If you like spicy asian food just add some more chili paste or Sriracha to kick it up. If you don't want it so sweet, reduce the amount of brown sugar. The most important lesson to learn in cooking is if you like it, then it was made right. Never should a home cook feel limited by a recipe. This recipe really brings out the carmel and vanilla flavors in the bourbon I used, and will help you see new dimensions to using bourbon in your cooking.
This is what Fat Boy Heaven is all about!
Named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, this is a great and flavorful way to easily make some great chicken. I love the flexibility this recipe gives me.
ACTIVE TIME15 minutes
TOTAL TIME40 minutes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 to 2 lbs Chicken (i prefer thigh meat, but boneless skinless breasts work too)
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 5 to 10 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chili Paste
- Add oil to large skillet and bring up to medium-high
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch chunks and brown on both sides
- Remove chicken from skillet
- Add remaining ingredients to skillet and mix thoroughly, then bring to rapid boil
- when sauce starts to reduce, add chicken back and reduce heat to med-low
- Allow chicken to simmer in sauce covered for 20-25 minutes
- Serve over steamed rice, or with mixed veggies
This is an extremely flexible recipe. You can add or subtract garlic, chili paste etc. to taste, so make it as hot as you want.