The wife came across this recipe online the other day and it looked good enough that I had to give it a try. Pre cooking the vegetables and the chicken help the flavors develop much stronger than they normally would in the crock pot, and the chicken also holds together instead of falling apart. The combination of leaks, onions, shallots, and cream make this rich and smooth without over powering and the cream cheese helps to thicken it without needing to add flour or starches. If you are looking for a delicious creamy soup without increasing your carb intake, give this one a try, it is sure to please your family.
Chicken Bacon Crock Pot Chowder
This chowder is deliciously rich and flavorful. If you are looking to impress your friends with your cooking skills, this would be the dish to make them. Although it keeps well in the fridge, good luck having any leftovers.
- 4 Cloves Garlic - Minced
- 1 Shallot – Finely Chopped
- 1 Leek – Cleaned, Trimmed, and Sliced
- 2 Ribs Celery - Diced
- 6 oz. Cremini Mushrooms - Sliced
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion – Thinly Sliced
- 4 Tbs. Butter – Divided
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock – Divided
- 1 lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 lb. Bacon – Cooked Crisp, and Crumbled
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- Heat slow cooker on low setting
- To slow cooker, add garlic, shallot, leek, celery, mushrooms, onions, 2 Tbs. butter, 1 cup chicken stock, and salt and pepper. Cover, and cook vegetables on low for 1 hour.
- Complete this next step while the vegetables are cooking – In a large skillet over medium-high heat, pan-sear the chicken breasts in the remaining 2 Tbs. butter until they are browned on both sides. – About 5 minutes each side. (Chicken will not be fully cooked during this stage.)
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside. De-glaze the pan with the remaining 1 cup of chicken stock. Using a rubber spatula, scrape up any bits of chicken that may be stuck to the pan. Add chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Add heavy cream, cream cheese, garlic powder, and thyme to slow cooker. Stir until well combined and there are no longer any visible chunks of cream cheese.
- Once chicken has cooled, cut into cubes and add to slow cooker, along with bacon. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. Cover and let cook for 6-8 hours.
1 Serving:1 cup Calories: 236 Carbs: 2.5 net grams Fat: 13 g Protein: 16 g