Like many people, my go-to for a quick hot meal is a grilled cheese sandwich. One of the great things about a sandwich is the ability to improvise with different ingredients to make it new as often as you want. We had a bag of 4-cheese Mexican blend shredded cheese in the fridge and always have peppers and such around, so I decided to do a nacho/ Tex-Mex sandwich this afternoon.
Dead simple and tasty, it's the little things that combine to create magic in your kitchen.
Fatboy Tex-Mex grilled cheese
2 slices bread (I used a multi-grain with some nut flour)
1/8 cup shredded Mexican 4-cheese blend
4-6 slices pickled jalapeño peppers
2-4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Heat cast iron skillet to medium-high
- Spread cheese and peppers between slices of bread
- Butter outside of both sides of sandwich
- Place sandwich in skillet and place a second skillet or sandwich press on top
- Fry each side 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted to preference
- Remove sandwich from pan and cut in half to serve.