A very common combination in american cooking is apple and pork, but I was looking for a way to bring something more to the flavor profile this time. When I started thinking I realized that a lot of the same flavors that we use with apples are present in Chinese Five Spice recipes, and thought this would be a great combination. The pork came out fall apart perfect with a great combination of flavors. It was at once both familiar and exotic. This one will get made again here in Fat Boy Heaven.
Apple Honey Five Spice Pork
- Pork Loin, 2.5-3 lbs.
- Red Delicious Apples, 3 sliced
- Honey, approx 4 T
- Chinese Five Spice, 2 T
- Lay the apple slices (from two of the apples) in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Sprinkle with five spice.
- Cut slits in the pork loin (approx 1/2″-3/4″).
- Drizzle some honey into the slits.
- Then place apple slices into the slits.
- Place the pork loin into the crockpot.
- Drizzle the top with the remainder of the honey.
- Place the rest of the apples on top.
- Then sprinkle the whole thing with five spice.
- Cook on low for 7 hours
Serve with veggies