I've been feeling under the weather this week, and wanted something that was warming and satisfying without being too heavy. I decided on yams and chicken because the yams are a lighter and more complex carb than white potatoes, and I thought that apple would go well with them and the chicken. Ginger and curry along with these flavors and garlic made the perfect blend without being over seasoned. Give this one a try on a cold winters night, you won't be sorry.
Crockpot Chicken with Apple and Sweet Potato
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Sea salt + cracked black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (you can also use cumin if you don’t have curry)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Layer the sweet potato chunks and chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, red onion, apple sauce, cider vinegar, curry powder, and ginger.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and sweet potato chunks.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the chicken and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve alone or over rice.