We were looking for something with little prep time that we hadn't had in a while, and I decided to try and come up with a new Short Rib recipe. We had rice, so I decided to take things slightly asian with a sweet-hot flavor, and we were all happy with the results.
The sauce thickened up nicely, and had a very nice balance of flavors. The heat came from a red chili sauce I found at the grocers, and I offset that with brown sugar for sweetness.
The key to cooking beef or pork in a slow cooker is to brown the meat. Whether just browning off the meat or coating it with flour to help thicken the sauce you are cooking it in as I did here, high heat with enough oil to brown it rapidly enough to get a good sear on your meat will make all the difference in the world for how your dish comes out.
Give this one a try folks, this is a crock-pot full of Fat Boy Heaven.
Sweet-Hot Slow-Cooker Beef Short Ribs
TOTAL TIME9 hrs 10 mins
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (Lowery's or Johnny's)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Put flour, salt and pepper in a bag.
- Add ribs and shake to coat.
- Brown ribs in butter in a lg skillet.
- Put in slow cooker.
- In same skillet, combine remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Pour over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.